Teacher Education Building
225 N. Mills Street
Madison, WI 53706
Peter Wardrip is an Assistant Professor of STEAM Education at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. His research focuses on informal/formal learning collaborations, professional learning for educators, formative assessment and making as a learning process. Peter earned his PhD in Learning Sciences and Policy from University of Pittsburgh and is currently a visiting researcher with the University of Pittsburgh Center for Learning in Out of School Environments (UPCLOSE) and the Learning Media Design Center at Carnegie Mellon University. Peter enjoys playing soccer, euchre and drinking hot cocoa with his family.
- PhD Learning Sciences and Policy, University of Pittsburg, 2014
- MS Human Ecology, Centre for Human Ecology, 2004
- BS Latin Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1997
- Shapiro, R. B., & Wardrip, P. (2019). Teachers reasoning about students' understanding: Teachers learning formative instruction by design. Educational Technology Research & Development
- Wardrip, P., & Ryoo, j. The Role of Educational Technology in Informal Learning Environments: Making and Tinkering. In Bishop, M.J., Boling, E., Elen, J. & Svihla, V. (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Educational Communications and Technology New York, NY: Springer.
- Wardrip, P., Evancho, J., & McNamara, A. (2018). Identifying what matters before you measure it. Phi Delta Kappan
- Wardrip, P., & Herman, P. (2018). ‘We’re keeping on top of the students’: making sense of test data with more informal data in a grade-level instructional team. Teacher Development, 22(1), 31-50.
- Wardrip, P., Brahms, L., Carrigan, T., & Reich, C. (2017). Making and Learning in Museums and Libraries: A Practitioner’s Guide and Framework. Institute of Museum and Library Services and Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh.
- Wardrip, P., & Shapiro, R. B. (2016). Digital media and data: Using and designing technologies to support learning in practice. Special issue of Learning, Media, and Technology
- Wardrip, P., & Brahms, L. (2016). Making goes to school. In Peppler, K., Halverson, E. & Kafai, Y. (Eds.), Makeology: Makers as Learners, 1 New York, NY: Routledge.
- Wardrip, P., Abramovich, S., Kim, Y. J., & Bathgate, M. (2016). Taking badges to school: A school-based badge system and its impact on participating teachers. Computers and Education
- Colvin, S., & Wardrip, P. (2019, ). Do They Even Know That Librarians Exist?" How One City's Youth Services Librarians Work, Learn, and Support Youth. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Researchers Association, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Smith, J. M., Millerjohn, R., Ramirez, E., Chang, S., Reyes, E., Wardrip, P., Martin, C. K., & Kumar, V. (2019, ). Assessment in Library Makerspaces: Opportunities and Challenges. presented at the Connected Learning Summit, Irvine, CA.
- Martin, C. K., Reyes, E., Ramirez, E., & Wardrip, P. (2019, ). Supporting Educator Reflection and Agency Through the Co-Design of Observation Tools and Practices for Informal Learning Environments. presented at the Connected Learning Summit, Irvine, CA.
- Wardrip, P. (2018, ). Assessment and Evaluation of Engagement in Museum Makerspaces: Some Considerations. presented at the Annual conference of ECSITE: European Network of Science Centres and Museums, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Wardrip, P. (2018, ). Agency by Design Pittsburgh: Exploring Protocols to Build Community. presented at the Connected Learning Summit, Cambridge, MA.
- Wardrip, P., & Brahms, L. (2018, ). Assessment of Learning and Engagement through Making in Informal Learning Settings. presented at the Fourth Annual Maker Ed Convening, San Jose, CA.
- Bonnette, R., Crowley, K., Wardrip, P., & Brahms, L. (2017, ). Making is in the Mindset: How a Makerspace can support at-risk youth. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of AERA, San Antonio, TX.
- McNamara, A., Akiva, T., Wardrip, P., & Brahms, L. (2017, ). The Interactivity of Learning through Making. Other presented at the Annual Meeting of AERA, San Antonio, TX.
- Heroman, C., Wardrip, P., King, M., & Baker, C. (2017, ). Making, tinkering and makerspaces: What you need to know about makerspaces and how teachers are using them in their classrooms. presented at the NAEYC Professional Learning Institute, San Francisco, CA.
- Wardrip, P., & Brahms, L. (2015, June). Learning practices of making: developing a framework for design. presented at the Proceedings of the 14th international conference on interaction design and children
Select Awards and Honors
- Fellow, Innovative New Spaces for Practice and Rehearsal in Education (INSPIRE), Teaching Systems Laboratory, MIT, (2018, 2019)
- Fellow, Research + Practice Collaboratory, 2016
- Committee Member, DML Design Research, (2014, 2015)
- Lifelong Learning Badge Working Group Member, Sprout Fund, (2014, 2015)