244A Teacher Education Building
225 N Mills St
Madison, WI 53706-1707
Alice Udvari-Solner is a national consultant in education and has held an appointment at UW-Wisconsin-Madison since 1989. During this time, she has prepared educators in undergraduate, masters, and PhD degree programs to act as change agents in creating inclusive schools. The graduate and undergraduate courses she teaches on the topic of accommodating diverse learners in general education settings are integral to the elementary, secondary, and special education teacher certification programs.
Universal Design for Learning (UDL), differentiation, assistive technologies, collaborative teamwork among educators, training for paraprofessionals, and systems change toward inclusive education are areas that are central to her work in scholarship and teaching. Dr. Udvari-Solner’s research has focused on the development and implementation of the Universal Design Process for Differentiation-a protocol to promote co-planning among educators to design responsive instruction, curriculum & assessment for diverse learners. She is lead author of the first & second editions of the book Joyful Learning: Active & Collaborative Learning for Inclusive Classrooms. Corwin Press. Her work also comprises journal articles and chapters in these foundational texts: Leading Inclusive Schools, Educating Students with Severe and Multiple Disabilities: A Collaborative Approach, Creating the Inclusive School, Inclusive Urban High Schools, Quick Guides to Inclusion, Restructuring for a Caring & Effective Education, and Creativity & Collaborative Learning.
- Ph D Special Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1989
- MS Special Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1984
- BS Behavioral Disabilities, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1980
- Udvari-Solner, A., & Kluth, P. (2018) Joyful Learning: Active and Collaborative Strategies for Inclusive Classrooms Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Thousand, J., Udvari-Solner, A., & Villa, R. (2017) Differentiated instruction: Access to general education curriculum for all., 117-143. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development..
- Causton, J., Udvari-Solner, A., & Richmond, K. (2016) Creating educational adaptations, accommodations and modifications. Educating students with severe and multiple disabilities: A collaborative approach, 407-435. Baltimore, MD: Paul Brookes Publishing.
- Udvari-Solner, A., Ahlgren-Bouchard, K., & Harell, K. (2016) Instructing students with severe and multiple disabilities in inclusive classrooms Educating students with severe and multiple disabilities: A collaborative approach, 351- 405. Baltimore, MD: Paul Brookes Publishing.
- Udvari-Solner, A. (2010) Co-teaching in a differentiated classroom [Film] Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Feinstein, N. W., Fielding, K., Udvari-Solner, A., & Joshi, S. (2009) The Supporting Alliance in Child and Adolescent Treatment: Enhancing Collaboration between Therapists, Parents and Teachers. American Journal of Psychotherapy, 63(4), 319-344.
- Udvari-Solner, A. (2008) Lessons from Co-teachers [Film] Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin-Madison.