226-C Teacher Education Building
225 N. Mills St.
Madison, WI 53706
Dr. Russ earned her Ph.D. in Physics at the University of Maryland, working with the Physics Education Research Group to explore K–16+ student science learning. Prior to her appointment in the School of Education, she spent 5 years in the Learning Sciences Program at Northwestern as a postdoctoral fellow and then Research Assistant Professor modeling teacher and student cognition in science and mathematics. In 2010 she was awarded the National Academy of Education/Spencer Post-doctoral fellowship for work examining the interplay between knowledge and discourse interactions. Recently, her work has turned to trying to understand epistemic injustice and oppression in science and science classrooms. She is currently the Faculty Co-Director of the Madison Teaching and Learning Excellence Program, a flagship program on UW’s campus to support early career faculty in the development of research-based, equitable teaching practices.
- Ph D Physics, University of Maryland, 2006
- BS Physics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, North Carolina State University, 2002
- Odden, T. O., & Russ, R. (2019) Defining sensemaking: Bringing clarity to a fragmented theoretical construct Science Education, 103(1), 187-205.
- Russ, R., & Berland, L. K. (2019) Invented Science Journal of the Learning Sciences, 28(3), 279-301.
- Russ, R. (2018) Characterizing teacher attention to student thinking: A role for epistemological messages Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 55(1), 94-120.
- Russ, R., & Odden, T. O. (2018) Physics Education Research as a multidimensional space: Current work and expanding horizons Reviews in Physics Education Research (Vol 2): Getting Started in PER, 2 Online Publication/Abstract.
- Russ, R., Sherin, B. L., & Sherin, M. G. (2016) What constitutes teacher learning? Handbook of Research on Teaching 5th Edition, pp. 391-438. Washington, D.C.: American Educational Research Association.
- Russ, R. (2014) Epistemology of science vs. Epistemology for science Science Education, 98(3), 388-396.
- Russ, R., Lee, V. R., & Sherin, B. L. (2012) Framing in cognitive clinical interviews: Student understandings of the interview interaction Science Education, 96, 573-599.