574B Teacher Education Building
225 N Mills St
Madison, WI 53706-1795
Mariana Pacheco’s research focuses on meaningful opportunities for bi/multilingual and English Learner students to use their full linguistic resources for literacy learning and self-determination. She employs ethnographic and anthropological methods to understand sociopolitical and sociocultural processes related to language, teaching, learning, and curriculum. Her work contributes to theorizations and empirical knowledge of policies, programs, pedagogies, and practices that amplify what ‘counts’ as knowledge and that enhance bi/multilingual students’ academic potential through asset-based and strength-based educational practices, particularly for Chican@/Latin@ students. She is a former elementary bilingual (English-Spanish) teacher in Southern California and a proud alumnus of the Migrant Education and Upward Bound Programs.
- Ph D Urban Schooling, UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies, 2005
- M Ed Multiple Subject (Bilingual) Clear Credential, UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies, 1997
- BA Liberal Studies & Chicano Studies, California State University-Long Beach, 1995
- Pacheco, M., & Morales, Z. (2019) Meaning making, narrative, and nuance: Exploring the role of religious discourses and practices in expanding bilingual youth’s linguistic repertoires Everyday learning: Leveraging non-dominant youth language and culture in schools New York: Routledge.
- Pacheco, M., Morales, Z., & Hamilton, C. (2019) Transforming schooling for second language learners: Policies, pedagogies, and practices Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Pacheco, M. (2018) Learning and becoming writers: Meaning, identity, and epistemology in a newsroom community of practice Mind, Culture, and Activity, 25(2), 105-124.
- Pacheco, M. (2015) Bilingualism-as-participation: Examining adolescents' bi(multi)lingual literacies across out-of-school and online contexts Multilingual learners and academic literacies: Sociocultural contexts of literacy development in adolescents, 135-165. New York: Routledge.
- Pacheco, M. (2014) Nepantleras in the New Latino Diaspora: The intersectional experiences of bi/multilingual youth Intersectionality and urban education: Identities, policies, spaces & power, 97-123. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, Inc.
- Pacheco, M. (2012) Learning in/through everyday resistance: A cultural-historical perspective on community ‘resources’ and curriculum Educational Researcher, 41(4), 121-132.
- Pacheco, M. (2010) English Learners’ reading achievement: Dialectical relationships between policy and practices in meaning-making opportunities Reading Research Quarterly, 45(3), 292-317.
- Pacheco, M. (2010) Performativity in the bilingual classroom: The plight of English Learners in the current reform context Anthropology & Education Quarterly, 41(1), 75-93.
- Pacheco, M. (2009) Expansive learning and Chicana/o and Latina/o students’ political-historical knowledge Language Arts, 87(1), 18-29.
- Pacheco, M., & Nao, K. (2009) Re-writing identities: Using historicized writings to promote migrant students' writing Pedagogies: An International Journal, 4(1), 24-43.
- Pacheco, M., Gonzalez, T., & Xiong, Y. S., Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Symposium: “Sociocultural traditions to study teaching and teacher education for the inclusive classroom.”, "What can teachers learn from Hmong and Latino/a parents and youth?: Cultural historical change informing inclusive education" (2019), Toronto
- Pacheco, M., & Morales, Z., Literacy Research Association Annual Meeting, "Figurative language in religious community contexts: Opportunities to leverage and expand bilingual youth’s linguistic repertoires" (2018), Palm Springs, CA
- Pacheco, M., Literacy Research Association Annual Meeting, "“Quietly failing”: Examining the racialization of Chicano/Latino emergent bilingual students in/through policymaking processes" (2018), Palm Springs, CA
- Pacheco, M., Equity by Design Conference at UC – Berkeley, "Sociocritical Literacy for Community Change and Equity: Participatory Action Research with Bilingual Hmong and Latino Youth with/out Disabilities" (2018), Berkeley, CA
- Pacheco, M., 16th Annual Cambio de Colores Conference, "Explorando juntos: Exploring the organic intellectualism of (im)migrant students and communities" (2017), St. Louis, MO
- Pacheco, M., & Seemuth, L., American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, "“Spanish agaaaiiin?”: Young emergent bi/multilinguals’ participation and language ideologies in the classroom" (2017), San Antonio, TX
- Pacheco, M., MMSD 2016 Teaching and Learning Institute, "Equitable Approaches to Bilingual Education Pedagogy & Practice" (2016), Madison, WI
- Pacheco, M., Working Conference on Discourse Analysis in Education Research, "Critical Language Awareness and Implications for a Return to Critical Bi(multi)lingual Education" (2016), Columbus, OH
- Pacheco, M., Language Institute’s “Language Matters: Language, Power, Equity, and Justice” Lecture Series, "Language in Education: A Return to Critical Bi(multi)ligual Education" (2015), UW-Madison
- Pacheco, M., Keynote Speaker, La Mujer Latina Conference, "The Role of the Brown (Latina) Body in Creating Robust Environments" (2013), UW Madison
Select Awards and Honors
- Early Career Award, National Research Conference on Language & Literacy,