Teacher Education Building
225 N Mills St
Madison, WI 53706
Krista-Lee Malone is a faculty associate member teaching for the Game Design certificate. Her research includes studies on raiding guilds in World of Warcraft, the making of educational games in Taiwan, and gender issues on the live-streaming platform Twitch.tv. While in Taiwan she also worked as a cultural consultant (read: writer, editor, voice-actor, translator, curriculum developer, and quest designer) for an educational MMORPG and as a corporate English instructor. In addition to teaching, Dr. Malone is currently working on designing accessible games for classrooms and using game design in the social sciences.
- PhD Anthropology, UW-Milwaukee, 2015
- Malone, K., (2009). Dragon Kill Points: The Economics of Power Gamers. Games and Culture, 4(3), 296-316.
- Malone, K. (2019, ). Nothing Lasts Forever Online: A Look at Endings and Failures Beyond Player Perspectives. Other presented at the AAA/CASCA Annual Meeting, Vancouver, Canada.
- Malone, K. (2019, ). Twine Workshop. Other presented at the Images & Voices of Hope (IVOH) 20th Annual Summit
- Malone, K. (2018, ). Serious Play on Twitch: Experiments in Academic Streaming. Other presented at the International Academic Conference on Meaningful Play, Michigan State University, East Lansing.
- Malone, K. (2018, ). Trends in Game-Based Teaching and Learning...Pearls and Perils. Other presented at the M+Dev 2018 A Midwest Game Developers Conference
- Malone, K. (2017, ). Not a Gamer's Girlfriend: The Success and Failure of a Women's Geek Group. Oral Presentation presented at the Serious Play Discussion Series, UW-Milwaukee.
- Malone, K. (2013, ). Learning Digital Publics in a Global Mode: A Taiwanese Game's Imagining of the American Public Sphere. Other presented at the 14th Annual Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers, Denver, CO.
- Malone, K. (2013, ). Learning Digital Publics in a Global Mode: A Taiwanese Game's Imagining of the American Public Sphere. Other presented at the American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting, Chicago IL.
Select Awards and Honors
- Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions Seal of Excellence for the TWITCH research proposal, 2019
- June Nash Travel Award, Society for the Anthropological of Work (SAW) of the American Anthropological Association (AAA), 2013