514D Teacher Education Building
225 N. Mills Street
Madison, WI 53706
Li-Ching Ho is Professor of Social Studies Education in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction . Her research, conducted primarily in East and Southeast Asia, focuses on global civic education, issues of diversity in civic education, and environmental citizenship education. She was previously a recipient of the Vilas Faculty Early Career Investigator Award and the College and University Faculty Assembly Early Career Research Award. Her latest book, co-authored with Keith Barton, is Curriculum for Justice and Harmony. She is a co-editor of The Palgrave Handbook of Global Citizenship and Education and has published research in Theory and Research in Social Education, Journal of Curriculum Studies, Teachers College Record, and Teaching and Teacher Education. She has also worked closely with scholars, teachers, and students in numerous countries such as China, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Brunei and the Philippines.
- PhD Social Studies Education, Teachers College, Columbia University, 2008
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education Geography and Social Studies Education (Secondary), National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, 2000
- MA Southeast Asian Studies, National University of Singapore, 1998
- BS International Relations (2nd Upper Honors), London School of Economics and Political Science, 1995
- Ho, L., & Barton, K. C. (2022). Critical harmony: A goal for deliberative civic education. Journal of Moral Education, 51(2), 276-291.
- Barton, K. C., & Ho, L. (2022). Curriculum for justice and harmony: Deliberation, knowledge, and action in social and civic education. Routledge Online Publication/Abstract.
- Ho, L. (2021). “Our students do not get that equal chance”: Teachers’ perspectives of meritocracy. Cambridge Journal of Education, 51(2), 173-193.
- Davies, I., Ho, L., Kiwan, D., Peck, C., Peterson, A., Sant, E., & Waghid, Y. (2018). The Palgrave handbook of global citizenship and education. London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ho, L. (2017). Social harmony and diversity: The affordances and constraints of harmony as an educational goal. Teachers College Record, 119(4), 1-30.
- Ho, L. (2017). Living in challenging times: Social Studies education as restorative. Keynote/Plenary Address presented at the Singapore Ministry of Education Primary Social Studies Symposium, Singapore.
- Ho, L. (2017, October). The art of telling a story: How to publish in international journals. presented at the East China Normal University, Shanghai, China.
- Ho, L. (2017, July). Environmental citizenship education for climate change. presented at the Nanjing Normal University, Nanjing, China.
- Ho, L. (2016, November). Discussion pedagogies for democratic classrooms. presented at the The Organization of Social Studies Teachers in the Philippines and the University of the Philippines-Diliman, Manila, Philippines.
- Ho, L. (2015). Citizenship education in Asia. Keynote/Plenary Address presented at the University of the Philippines (Diliman) College of Education, Manila, Philippines.
- Ho, L. (2010). Looking beyond the nation-state: Global multicultural citizenship. Keynote/Plenary Address presented at the The 3rd Beijing International Forum on Citizenship Education for Children and Youths, Beijing, China.
Select Awards and Honors
- KAME Presidential Research Travel Award, Korean Association for Multicultural Education, 2019
- Vilas Faculty Early Career Investigator Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2016
- Early Career Research Award, College University and Faculty Association, National Council of Social Studies, 2013
- National Institute of Education Teaching Excellence Award, National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, 2013
- Overseas Graduate Scholarship (Doctoral), National Institute of Education, Singapore, (2004, 2008)