144D Teacher Education Building
225 N. Mills St.
Madison, WI 53706-1706
I am interested in how people learn in and through the arts across a range of art forms with a focus on the performing arts. I also run Whoopensocker, an artist-in-residence program working in Madison Public Schools.
- Ph D Learning Sciences, Northwestern University, 2005
- Halverson, E. R. How the arts can save the education Teacher College Press.
- Litts, B., & Halverson, E. R. Making as a discipline for learning in the 21st century Educational Researcher.
- Halverson, E. R., Dando, M., Willis, N., & Jeppesen, V. If you build it, who will come? Recruiting rural students to participate in computational thinking through making Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Halverson, E. R., Smith, A., & Dai, Z. (2019) The role of asynchronous digital feedback in youth maker projects. Proceedings of the 2019 Computer Supported Collaborative Learning Conference
- Halverson, E. R., Saplan, K., Stoiber, A., & Rabkin, N. The role of critique in student-artists metacognitive practices Multidisciplinary approaches to art learning and creativity: Fostering exploration in formal and informal settings Routledge.
- Halverson, E. R., Litts, B., & Gravel, B. (2018) Forms of emergent collaboration in maker-based learning Rethinking Learning in the Digital Age. Making the Learning Sciences Count, 1304-1311. London: International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- Halverson, E. R., Jordan-Douglass, A., Nixon, J., & Schindler, E. (In Press) How educational and communications technologies play a role in arts and humanities teaching and learning. Handbook of research n educational communications and technology Springer.
- Halverson, E. R. (2018) How the arts will transform education 2018 NCECA Journal, 34-36. Boulder, CO: National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts.
- Litts, B., & Halverson, E. R. (In Press) Taking up multiliteracies in a constructionalist design context. Constructionism in context Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Halverson, E. R., & Peppler, K. (2018) The Maker Movement and Learning The International Handbook of the Learning Sciences, Chapter 28, 285-294. New York: Routledge.
- Halverson, E. R., Smith, A., & Dai, Z., 2019 Computer Supported Collaborative Learning Conference, "The role of asynchronous digital feedback in youth maker projects" (2019)
- Halverson, E. R., Levin, A., & Stovall, J., UW Diversity Forum, "America to Me Panel" (2018), Madison, WI
- Halverson, E. R., Maltese, A., Millerjohn, R., & Wardrip, P., Maker Education Symposium, "Assessment of learning and engagement through making" (2018), San Jose, CA
- Halverson, E. R., Milwaukee Maker Faire Educators Conference, "The Arts and Maker Movement" (2018), Milwaukee, WI
- Halverson, E. R., Madison Metropolitan School District Power Up Conference, "The Maker Movement in education: Hyping for Power Up!" (2018), Madison, WI
- Halverson, E. R., & Dando, M., AERA Annual Meeting, "EMMET – Exploring Making through Mobile Emerging Technologies. Education through Making and Mentoring" (2018), New York, NY
- Halverson, E. R., & Millerjohn, R., AERA Annual Meeting, "Measuring making in drop-in spaces: Bubbler @ Madison Public Libraries" (2018), New York, NY
- Halverson, E. R., National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts, "How the arts can transform education" (2018), Pittsburgh, PA
- Halverson, E. R., Wisconsin Public Television’s Education Innovation Summit, "Media production in the classroom. Why? And why now?" (2018), Pittsburgh, PA
Select Awards and Honors
- Grand Challenges Engage Grant - UW Arts Collaboratory, School of Education, (2018, 2019)
- Grand Challenges Engage Grant - What the Moon Saw, School of Education, (2018, 2019)
- 2018 Postdoc Mentoring Award, UW-Madison's Postdoctoral Association, 2018