144D Teacher Education Building
225 N. Mills St.
Madison, WI 53706-1706
I am interested in how people learn in and through the arts across a range of art forms with a focus on the performing arts. I also run Whoopensocker, an artist-in-residence program working in Madison Public Schools.
- PhD Learning Sciences, Northwestern University, 2005
- Halverson, E. R., How the arts can save the education. Teacher College Press.
- Litts, B., & Halverson, E. R. Making as a discipline for learning in the 21st century. Educational Researcher.
- Halverson, E. R., Dando, M., Willis, N., & Jeppesen, V. If you build it, who will come? Recruiting rural students to participate in computational thinking through making. Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Halverson, E. R., Smith, A., & Dai, Z. (2019). The role of asynchronous digital feedback in youth maker projects.. Proceedings of the 2019 Computer Supported Collaborative Learning Conference
- Halverson, E. R., Saplan, K., Stoiber, A., & Rabkin, N. The role of critique in student-artists metacognitive practices. In K. Knutson (Ed.), Multidisciplinary approaches to art learning and creativity: Fostering exploration in formal and informal settings Routledge.
- Halverson, E. R., Litts, B., & Gravel, B. (2018). Forms of emergent collaboration in maker-based learning. Rethinking Learning in the Digital Age. Making the Learning Sciences Count, 1304-1311. London: International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- Halverson, E. R., Jordan-Douglass, A., Nixon, J., & Schindler, E. (In Press). How educational and communications technologies play a role in arts and humanities teaching and learning.. In M.J. Bishop, J. Elen, E. Boling, & V. Svilha (Eds.), Handbook of research n educational communications and technology Springer.
- Halverson, E. R., (2018). How the arts will transform education. 2018 NCECA Journal, 34-36. Boulder, CO: National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts.
- Litts, B., & Halverson, E. R. (In Press). Taking up multiliteracies in a constructionalist design context.. In N. Holbert, M. Berland, & Y. Kafai (Eds.), Constructionism in context Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Halverson, E. R., & Peppler, K. (2018). The Maker Movement and Learning. In F. Fischer, C. Hmelo-Silver, S. Goldman, P. Reimann (Ed.), The International Handbook of the Learning Sciences, Chapter 28 (pp. 285-294). New York: Routledge.
- Halverson, E. R., Smith, A., & Dai, Z. The role of asynchronous digital feedback in youth maker projects. presented at the 2019 Computer Supported Collaborative Learning Conference.
- Halverson, E. R., Levin, A., & Stovall, J. America to Me Panel. Panel presented at the UW Diversity Forum, Madison, WI.
- Halverson, E. R., Maltese, A., Millerjohn, R., & Wardrip, P. Assessment of learning and engagement through making. Workshop presented at the Maker Education Symposium, San Jose, CA.
- Halverson, E. R. The Arts and Maker Movement. Keynote/Plenary Address presented at the Milwaukee Maker Faire Educators Conference, Milwaukee, WI.
- Halverson, E. R. The Maker Movement in education: Hyping for Power Up! Keynote/Plenary Address presented at the Madison Metropolitan School District Power Up Conference, Madison, WI.
- Halverson, E. R., & Dando, M. EMMET – Exploring Making through Mobile Emerging Technologies. Education through Making and Mentoring. Poster presented at the AERA Annual Meeting, New York, NY.
- Halverson, E. R., & Millerjohn, R. Measuring making in drop-in spaces: Bubbler @ Madison Public Libraries. Poster presented at the AERA Annual Meeting, New York, NY.
- Halverson, E. R. How the arts can transform education. Keynote/Plenary Address presented at the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Halverson, E. R. Media production in the classroom. Why? And why now? Keynote/Plenary Address presented at the Wisconsin Public Television’s Education Innovation Summit, Pittsburgh, PA.
Select Awards and Honors
- Grand Challenges Engage Grant - UW Arts Collaboratory, School of Education, (2018, 2019)
- Grand Challenges Engage Grant - What the Moon Saw, School of Education, (2018, 2019)
- 2018 Postdoc Mentoring Award, UW-Madison's Postdoctoral Association, 2018