144D Teacher Education Building
I am interested in how people learn in and through the arts across a range of art forms with a focus on the performing arts. I also run Whoopensocker, an artist-in-residence program working in Madison Public Schools.
- Ph D Learning Sciences, Northwestern University, 2005
- How the arts can save the education Teacher College Press.
- Making as a discipline for learning in the 21st century Educational Researcher.
- If you build it, who will come? Recruiting rural students to participate in computational thinking through makingin Journal of Science Education and Technology
- (2019) The role of asynchronous digital feedback in youth maker projects.in Proceedings of the 2019 Computer Supported Collaborative Learning Conference
- The role of critique in student-artists metacognitive practicesin Multidisciplinary approaches to art learning and creativity: Fostering exploration in formal and informal settings Routledge.
- (2018) Forms of emergent collaboration in maker-based learningin Rethinking Learning in the Digital Age. Making the Learning Sciences Count, (1304-1311). London: International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- (In Press) How educational and communications technologies play a role in arts and humanities teaching and learning.in Handbook of research n educational communications and technology Springer.
- (2018) How the arts will transform educationin 2018 NCECA Journal, (34-36). Boulder, CO: National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts.
- (In Press) Taking up multiliteracies in a constructionalist design context.in Constructionism in context Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- (2018) The Maker Movement and Learningin The International Handbook of the Learning Sciences, Chapter 28, (285-294). New York: Routledge.
- 2019 Computer Supported Collaborative Learning Conference, "The role of asynchronous digital feedback in youth maker projects" (2019)
- UW Diversity Forum, "America to Me Panel" (2018), Madison, WI
- Maker Education Symposium, "Assessment of learning and engagement through making" (2018), San Jose, CA
- Milwaukee Maker Faire Educators Conference, "The Arts and Maker Movement" (2018), Milwaukee, WI
- Madison Metropolitan School District Power Up Conference, "The Maker Movement in education: Hyping for Power Up!" (2018), Madison, WI
- AERA Annual Meeting, "EMMET – Exploring Making through Mobile Emerging Technologies. Education through Making and Mentoring" (2018), New York, NY
- AERA Annual Meeting, "Measuring making in drop-in spaces: Bubbler @ Madison Public Libraries" (2018), New York, NY
- National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts, "How the arts can transform education" (2018), Pittsburgh, PA
- Wisconsin Public Television’s Education Innovation Summit, "Media production in the classroom. Why? And why now?" (2018), Pittsburgh, PA
Awards and Honors
- Grand Challenges Engage Grant - UW Arts Collaboratory, School of Education, 2018
- Grand Challenges Engage Grant - What the Moon Saw, School of Education, 2018
- 2018 Postdoc Mentoring Award, UW-Madison's Postdoctoral Association, 2018