476-D Teacher Education Building
Hala Ghousseini is the John Grover Harvey Professor of Math Education and associate professor in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Her scholarship focuses on understanding the nature of mathematics teacher learning and the design aspects of professional education that support the learning and enactment of ambitious practice. Professor Ghousseini received her Ph.D. from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. She has several years of experience teaching elementary and middle school mathematics.
- Ph D Mathematics Education, University of Michigan, 2008
- MA Mathematics Education, American University of Beirut, 1996
- BS Mathematics, American University of Beirut, 1989
- Teaching Diploma Secondary Mathematics Education, American University of Beirut, 1989
- Greenberg, C., Ghousseini, H., Pavuluri Quamme, S., Beasley, H., Frasier, L., Brys, N., Dombrowski, J., & Wiegmann, D. (2018) A Statewide Surgical Coaching Program Provides Opportunity for Continuous Professional Development Annals of Surgery, 267(5), 868-873.
- Ghousseini, H. (2017) Rehearsals of teaching and opportunities to learn mathematical knowledge for teaching Cognition and Instruction, 35(3), 188-211.
- Beasley, H., Ghousseini, H., Weigmann, D., Brys, N., Pavuluri Quamme, S., & Greenberg, C. (2017) Strategies for building peer surgical coaching relationships JAMA Surgery, 152(4), :e165540.
- Ghousseini, H., & Herbst, P. (2016) Pedagogies of practice and opportunities to learn about classroom mathematics discussions Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 19(1), 79-103.
- Kazemi, E., Ghousseini, H., Cunard, A., & Turrou, A. C. (2016) Getting inside rehearsals: Insights from teacher educators to support work on complex practice Journal of Teacher Education, 67(1), 18-31.
- Ghousseini, H., Beasley, H., & Lord, S. (2015) Investigating the potential of an enactment tool in supporting adaptive performance Journal of the Learning Sciences, 24(3), 461-497.
- Lampert, M., Ghousseini, H., & Beasley, H. (2015) Positioning novice teachers as agents in learning teaching Socializing Intelligence Through Academic Talk and Dialogue, 363-374. Washington D.C.: American Educational Research Association.
- Ghousseini, H. (2015) Core practices and problems of practice in learning to lead classroom discussions The Elementary School Journal, 115(3), 334-357.
- Lampert, M., Franke, M., Kazemi, E., Ghousseini, H., Chan Turrou, A., Beasley, H., Cunard, A., & Crowe, K. (2013) Keeping It complex: Using rehearsals to support novice teacher learning of ambitious teaching Journal of Teacher Education, 64(3), 226-243.
- Ghousseini, H., & Sleep, L. (2011) Making Practice Studyable ZDM-The International Journal on Mathematics Education, 43(1), 147-160.
- Ghousseini, H., Simulations in Teacher Education Conference, "Rehearsals of teaching: A simulation of complex practice" (2019), Louisville, KY
- Ghousseini, H., Surgical Coaching Summit panel, "What is Coaching? Perspectives from Other Disciplines" (2018), University of Wisconsin
- Ghousseini, H., National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Regional Conference, "Using generative routines to support learning ambitious mathematics teaching" (2017), Chicago, IL
- Ghousseini, H., Wisconsin Mathematics Council, "Supporting Productive Mathematics Talk" (2017), Wisconsin Dells, WI
- Ghousseini, H., Beasley, H., & Cardon, A., American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Conference, "Re-contextualizing core instructional practices in beginning mathematics teaching: the co-evolution of tool use and identity" (2016), Washington, D.C.
- Ghousseini, H., Franke, M., & Turrou, A., American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, "Educating Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Learners: New approaches to practice in teacher education" (2016)
- Ghousseini, H., Lord, S., & Cardon, A., National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Research Conference, "Classroom mathematics discourse in a Kindergarten classroom" (2016), San Francisco, CA
- Ghousseini, H., New Educator Seminar, "Selecting and Setting up Cognitively Demanding Tasks to Support Student Learning" (2015), Madison, WI
- Ghousseini, H., Early career scholars and their work at American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, "Making a Difference: Examining the Impact of Focusing on High-leverage Practices in Teacher Preparation" (2014), Chicago, IL
- Ghousseini, H., The Center for Mathematics Education Colloquium Series, "Supporting Teachers to Learn the Practice of Ambitious Mathematics Teaching" (2013)
Awards and Honors
- John Grover Harvey Professor of Math Education, , 2019
- Nominee for the Romnes Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2019
- Spencer Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Academy of Education /Spencer Foundation, 2012
- 2014 Outstanding Journal of Teacher Education (JTE) Article Award, American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE), 2012