476-D Teacher Education Building
225 N. Mills Street
Madison, WI 53706
Hala Ghousseini is the John Grover Harvey Professor of Math Education and professor in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Her scholarship focuses on understanding how teachers learn complex and responsive practice, and how the designs of professional education can support teachers in developing knowledge, skills, and commitments that center students’ sense-making and resist oppressive practices. Her current work is concerned with role of mathematical representations in young children’s learning and teachers’ collaborative learning and pedagogical reasoning.
- PhD Mathematics Education, University of Michigan, 2008
- MA Mathematics Education, American University of Beirut, 1996
- BS Mathematics, American University of Beirut, 1989
- Teaching Diploma Secondary Mathematics Education, American University of Beirut, 1989
Select Media Contributions
- Author Interview: Journal of Teacher Education Insider, Getting inside rehearsals: Insights from teacher educators to support work on complex practice. (February, 2016). Media Link
- Big Ten Network's Out of the Blue Series, Episode 206 -Teacher Education. (2009). Media Link
U-M School of Education's plan to refocus its teacher education program on skills of professional practice
- Kavanagh, S. S., Fox, A., Ghousseini, H., Gotwalt, E., Cordero-Siy, E., Kazemi, E., & Dutro, E. (2022). Breaking the Fourth Wall: Reaching beyond observer/performer binaries in studies of teacher and researcher learning. Cognition and Instruction, 40, 126-147.
- Ghousseini, H., Kavanagh, S. S., Kazemi, E., & Dutro, E. (2022). The fourth wall of professional learning and cultures of collaboration. Educational Researcher, 51(3), 216-222.
- Kazemi, E., Ghousseini, H., Cordero-Siy, E., Prough, S., McVicar, E., & Fox, A. (2021). Supporting teacher learning about argumentation through adaptive, school-based professional development. ZDM Mathematics Education, 435-448.
- Greenberg, C., Ghousseini, H., Pavuluri Quamme, S., Beasley, H., Frasier, L., Brys, N., Dombrowski, J., & Wiegmann, D. (2018). A Statewide Surgical Coaching Program Provides Opportunity for Continuous Professional Development. Annals of Surgery, 267(5), 868-873.
- Beasley, H., Ghousseini, H., Weigmann, D., Brys, N., Pavuluri Quamme, S., & Greenberg, C. (2017). Strategies for building peer surgical coaching relationships. JAMA Surgery, 152(4), :e165540.
- Ghousseini, H., & Lord, S. (2016). Rehearsals of teaching: Attending to mathematics knowledge for teaching. Wood, M., B., Turner, E. E., Civil, M., & Eli, J. A. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 38th annual meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education, 506-509. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona.
- Ghousseini, H., & Herbst, P. (2016). Pedagogies of practice and opportunities to learn about classroom mathematics discussions. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 19(1), 79-103.
- Kazemi, E., Ghousseini, H., Cunard, A., & Turrou, A. C. (2016). Getting inside rehearsals: Insights from teacher educators to support work on complex practice. Journal of Teacher Education, 67(1), 18-31.
- Ghousseini, H., Beasley, H., & Lord, S. (2015). Investigating the potential of an enactment tool in supporting adaptive performance. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 24(3), 461-497.
- Ghousseini, H., & Sleep, L. (2011). Making Practice Studyable. ZDM-The International Journal on Mathematics Education, 43(1), 147-160.
- Ghousseini, H. (2019, February). Rehearsals of teaching: A simulation of complex practice. presented at the Simulations in Teacher Education Conference, Louisville, KY.
- Ghousseini, H. (2018, June). What is Coaching? Perspectives from Other Disciplines. presented at the Surgical Coaching Summit panel, University of Wisconsin.
- Ghousseini, H. (2017, November). Using generative routines to support learning ambitious mathematics teaching. presented at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Regional Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Ghousseini, H. (2017, October). Supporting Productive Mathematics Talk. presented at the Wisconsin Mathematics Council, Wisconsin Dells, WI.
- Ghousseini, H., Beasley, H., & Cardon, A. (2016, April). Re-contextualizing core instructional practices in beginning mathematics teaching: the co-evolution of tool use and identity. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Conference, Washington, D.C..
- Ghousseini, H., Franke, M., & Turrou, A. (2016, April). Educating Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Learners: New approaches to practice in teacher education. presented at the American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting.
- Ghousseini, H., Lord, S., & Cardon, A. (2016, April). Classroom mathematics discourse in a Kindergarten classroom. Paper presented at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Research Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Ghousseini, H. (2015, March). Selecting and Setting up Cognitively Demanding Tasks to Support Student Learning. presented at the New Educator Seminar, Madison, WI.
- Ghousseini, H. (2014, April). Making a Difference: Examining the Impact of Focusing on High-leverage Practices in Teacher Preparation. presented at the Early career scholars and their work at American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Ghousseini, H. (2013, May). Supporting Teachers to Learn the Practice of Ambitious Mathematics Teaching. presented at the The Center for Mathematics Education Colloquium Series.
Select Awards and Honors
- John Grover Harvey Professor of Math Education, (2019, 2024)
- Nominee for the Romnes Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2019
- Spencer Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Academy of Education /Spencer Foundation, (2012, 2014)
- 2014 Outstanding Journal of Teacher Education (JTE) Article Award, American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE), 2014