Maxine McKinney de Royston
476C Teacher Education Building
225 N. Mills Street
Madison, WI 53706
- Ph D Education, University of California, Berkeley, 2011
- DSW Education: Cognition & Development, University of California, Berkeley, 2007
- BA Government, African American Studies (minor) , Smith College , 1999
- Nasir, N., Lee, C., Pea, R., & McKinney de Royston, M. (In Press) The Handbook of Culture & Learning New York: Routledge.
- McKinney de Royston, M., & Madkins, T. (2019) A question of necessity or of equity?: Full Service Community Schools and the (Mis)education of Black Youth Journal of Education for Students at Placed at Risk
- McKinney de Royston, M., & Sengupta-Irving, T. (2019) Another Step Forward: Engaging the Political in Learning Cognition & Instruction
- Madkins, T., & McKinney de Royston, M. (2019) Illuminating Sociopolitical Clarity in Culturally Relevant Science Instruction Science Education, 1-28.
- Vakil, S., & McKinney de Royston, M. (2019) You’re so far out, and you’re trying to look in”: Exploring Politicized Trust in a Racially Diverse Computer Science Classroom Race, Ethnicity, & Education
- McKinney de Royston, M., & Nasir, N. (2017) Racialized Learning Ecologies: Understanding race as a key feature of learning and developmental processes in schools New Perspectives on Human Development New York: Cambridge University.
- McKinney de Royston, M., Vakil, S., Nasir, N., ross, K., Givens, J., & Holman, A. (2017) “He’s More Like a ‘Brother’ than a Teacher”: Politicized Caring in a Program for African American Males Teachers College Record, 119(4), 1-40.
- Vakil, S., McKinney de Royston, M., Kirschner, B., & Nasir, N. (2016) Rethinking Race, Power, and Definitions of Learning in Design-Based Research: Reflections from the Field Cognition & Instruction, 34(3), 194-209.
- Engle, R. A., Langer-Osuna, J., & McKinney de Royston, M. (2014) Toward an Interactional Model of Influence in Pervasive Discussions: Negotiating Quality, Authority, and Access Within Student-Led Arguments Journal of the Learning Sciences, 23(2), 265-268.
- Nasir, N., & McKinney de Royston, M. (2013) Power, Identity, and Mathematical Practices Outside and Inside of Schools Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 44(1), 264-287.
- Ma, j., Gutierrez, R., Gholson, M., Kelton, M., & McKinney de Royston, M., Bi-annual Meeting, "Ontological Possibilities of Mathematics in Mathematics Education: An Activity-Based Exploration and Discussion" (2019), Hyderabad, India
- McKinney de Royston, M., Bryant, J., Anderson, K., Baxa, M., & Long, C., , "Gwen Marshall: Contemporary Black Teacher as Race Woman" (2018), Greenville, SC
- Langer-Osuna, J., & McKinney de Royston, M., Bi-annual Meeting, "Understanding relations of power in the mathematics classroom: Explorations in positioning theory" (2017), Volos, Greece
- McKinney de Royston, M., , "Learning While Black: Re-thinking schools in a neoliberal era" (2017), Greencastle, IN
- McKinney de Royston, M., & Nasir, N., Annual Meeting, "Race as a Fundamental Aspect of Social Ecology in Schools" (2016), Washington, DC.
- McKinney de Royston, M., Annual Conference, "Rethinking Education & Learning: Characteristics of Productive Learning Ecologies for Black Students" (2015), Washington, DC.
- McKinney de Royston, M., , "Quantifying Liberation in Mathematics Education. In Theorizing Racism: Unpacking Supremacy, Privilege, and Justice" (2014), New Orleans, LA.
- Engle, R. A., & McKinney de Royston, M., , "A Situative Approach to Progressive Refinement of Hypotheses in Video-Supported Research: Examining Differential Influence in an Unmoderated Student Argument" (2007), Lyon, France
Select Awards and Honors
- Vilas Associate, Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education, UW – Madison, (2019, 2021)
- Teaching, & Research (STaR) Fellow, Association of Mathematics Teacher Educator’s Service, (2018, 2019)
- Faculty Fellow, Madison Teaching and Learning Excellence, UW- Madison, (2017, 2018)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Ford Foundation, (2015, 2016)
- Spencer Postdoctoral Fellow, UC-Berkeley, National Academy of Education, (2012, 2014)
- Dissertation Fellowship, UC/ACCORD, (2010, 2011)
- Research in Cognition & Mathematics Education Fellowship, UC– Berkeley, Institute of Education Studies, (2010, 2011)