456B Teacher Education Building
Margaret R. Hawkins focuses on language, mobility and education, exploring languages, literacies and learning in classroom, home, and community-based settings in domestic and global contexts. She works locally and internationally with schools, NGOs, communities and institutions of higher education in a variety of capacities.
- Hawkins, M. R. (2019) Plurilingual learners and schooling: A sociocultural perspective in Handbook of TESOL in K-12. Hoboken NJ: John Wiley & Sons
- Hawkins, M. R., Mori, J. (2018) Considering ‘trans-’ perspectives in language theories and practice in Applied Linguistics, 39(1), (1-8).
- Hawkins, M. R. (2018) Transmodalities and transnational encounters: Fostering critical cosmopolitan relations in Applied Linguistics, 39(1), (55-77).
- Hawkins, M. R., Cannon, A. (2017) Mobility, language & schooling in The Routledge Handbook of Migration and Language. New York NY: Routledge Press
- Hawkins, M. R. (2014) Ontologies of Place, Creative Meaning Making and Cosmopolitan Education in Curriculum Inquiry, 44(1), (90 - 113).
- Hawkins, M. R. (2013) Framing Languages and Literacies: Socially Situated Views and Perspectives in Framing Languages and Literacies: Socially Situated Views and Perspectives. Routledge Press
- Hawkins, M. R. (2011) Social Justice Language Teacher Education . Clevedon: Multilingual Matters
- Hawkins, M. R., Norton, B. (2009) Critical Language Teacher Education in Cambridge Guide to Second Language Teacher Education. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Hawkins, M. R. (2005) Becoming a student: Identity work and academic literacies in early schooling in TESOL Quarterly, 39(1), (59-80).
- Hawkins, M. R. (2004) Researching English language and literacy development in schools in Educational Researcher, 33(3), (14-25).
- Hawkins, M. R., , "Transmodalities: Global Youth Negotiating Place, Identity and Positioning in Translocal and Transnational Communications" (2019), Atlanta, GA
- Hawkins, M. R., , "Exploring Multimodalities: Language, Semiotics and New Media Engagements" (2018), Chicago, IL
- Hawkins, M. R., , "Transmodalities: Conceptualizing Semiotic Affordances in Transnational Communications" (2018), London and Birmingham UK, Barcelona Spain
Awards and Honors
- Erwin Zolt Digital Literacy Game Changer Award, International Literacy Award (ILA) , 2018
- Leadership Through Research Award, Second Language Research Special Interest Group (SIG), American Educational Research Association (AERA) , 2018
- Honored Instructor, University of Wisconsin Housing , 2018
- Global Citizen of the Year Award, United Nations Association, Dane County Chapter , 2018